The Gulch 2010
by Reid Priedhorsky
These pages describe a backpacking trip led by me to The Gulch and
surrounding parts of the Escalante canyon country. Eight of us traveled for
five to eight days in the wilderness.
This trip report was written and organized by Reid Priedhorsky and is
copyrighted 2011 by him. Images are copyrighted 2010 by their respective
owners. All rights are reserved.
Feedback and questions welcome. Please send e-mail to
- “A lot more scary than Reid made it sound.”
- “I was simultaneously sneezing, getting stung by fire ants, and
trying to set up my tent in the dark.”
- “Lesson of the day was, Reid drives like an old geezer.”
- “Kurt is unable to consume the entire Red Iguana combo
(Actual feedback received from trip participants.)
This trip report contains 166 photos.
- Day 0. Gather in Salt Lake City and cast of characters.
September 9, 2010. Start
- Day 1. Drive to trailhead and hike in. September 10,
- Day 2. Dayhike to and play in Boulder Creek. September
- Day 3. Dayhike up unnamed side canyon. September 12,
- Day 4. Hike down The Gulch to see pictographs and
narrows. September 13, 2010.
- Day 5. Dayhike to Escalante River. Short-trippers hike
out. September 14, 2010.
- Day 6. Rest day. September 15, 2010.
- Day 7. Climb Point 6167. September 16, 2010.
- Day 8. Hike out and return to Salt Lake City. September
- Pre-trip planning page.