Phantom Canyon 2008
by Reid Priedhorsky and Erin Tatge
These pages describe a backpacking trip led by Reid to the Phantom Canyon
area of Grand Canyon National Park. Six of us traveled for 8 days in the
backcountry, covering 47 difficult miles.
This trip report was written and organized by Reid Priedhorsky and Erin
Tatge and is copyright 2008 by them. Images are copyright 2008 by their
respective owners. All rights are reserved.
Feedback welcome. Please send e-mail to
This trip report contains 172 photos and about 9,000 words.
- Introduction. Travel to the Grand Canyon and cast of
- Day 1. Backpack from Bright Angel Trailhead to Indian
Gardens (5.0 miles). March 7, 2008.
- Day 2. Dayhike to Horn Creek for water sample (5.9
miles); backpack to Bright Angel Campground (5.4 miles). March 8.
- Day 3. Backpack from BA Campground via Utah Flats to
Overhang Camp in Phantom Canyon (4.6 miles). March 9.
- Day 4. Short dayhike to Phantom Creek falls
(1.9 miles); relax by the falls. March 10.
- Day 5. Explore upper Phantom Canyon (6.8 miles).
- Day 6. Explore Haunted Canyon (6.2 miles). March
- Day 7. Return to Bright Angel Campground
(4.4 miles). March 13.
- Day 8. Return to rim via South Kaibab Trail
(7.1 miles). March 14.
- Notes on menu and other things.